Regardless of which option you select, both braces and Invisalign® aligner offer a reliable treatment to achieve straighter and healthier teeth. Moreover, both treatment options help you get somewhat similar results but each has its own numerous benefits. After understanding your unique needs and expectations, your dentist will help you determine whether Invisalign or braces will be the best treatment option for you.
Read on to discover the unique aspects of both Invisalign and braces.
Invisalign vs. Braces: What are the differences?
Nevertheless, the Invisalign aligner provides a more flexible treatment approach when compared to braces and is highly recommended for adults and teens. Mostly, Invisalign is used to fix teeth conditions including wide teeth gaps, crossbite, crowded teeth, overbite, and more.
Dental braces are used to treat the teeth affected by excessive crowding, alignment problems, protrusions, irregular spacing, or crookedness. Over a fixed period, dental braces correct the placement of your teeth that resulting in a healthier, more attractive smile. As opposed to other orthodontic treatments, they are intended for more severe cases.
- Faster than traditional braces
- Less noticeable than braces
- Causes less discomfort in the mouth
- Easy to clean because of removable trays
- Very low maintenance and less frequent visits to the dentist is needed
- Cost a bit more than braces
- Highly recommended for people who regularly play contact sports
- Removable aligners can easily get misplaced
- Replacement for broken or lost trays can increase the cost
- Treatment could take longer if aligners are not worn as advised (22 hours a day)
- Not recommended to treat very complicated teeth conditions like severely crooked teeth
- Some discomfort may occur during the initial treatment period
- More established orthodontic treatment for teeth straightening
- Offered by all trained orthodontists
- Various color options are available for their brackets to make them unnoticeable
- Suitable for all types of cases, especially the more complicated ones
- No extra maintenance is required apart from regular brushing and flossing
- Wires and brackets may cause soreness and discomfort from rubbing
- May cause some tooth discoloration or rupture (which can usually be fixed after treatment completion)
- May cause a problem in eating certain types of foods
- Necessitates regular trips to the orthodontist for checkups
- Not ideal for people involved in regular contact sports
Are braces more expensive than Invisalign?
Both Invisalign vs. braces are long-term investments, and their cost may vary due to certain factors. The cost of dental braces can change substantially, depending on the severity of the case and the length of the treatment. You may get insurance coverage to cover the cost of braces or Invisalign treatment, subject to the type of orthodontic coverage selected by you. The exact cost of both these treatment plans will be explained by your orthodontist on the basis of your treatment needs.
However, Invisalign official website says that Invisalign treatment cost ranges from $3,000–$7,000 in the United States but you may also qualify for their insurance cover. Whereas, for traditional braces, dentists usually charge $2000 – $6000.
Which is better Braces or Invisalign?
There are two sides to any treatment plan designed to improve your smile and oral health due to the difference in their treatment approach. It is also difficult to accurately compare Invisalign and braces from their treatment cost, which may vary depending on several factors. A skilled orthodontist will help you decide whether Invisalign or braces, which is the most suitable option to meet your needs and to match your lifestyle.